10 June 2010

"Mom"

I read quite a few adoption blogs - blogs by birthmoms & adoptive moms.  I've noticed a trend of calling the adoptive mom "Mom" and then the birthmom by her first name.  I guess in my mind, I've always just thought we'd both be called mom.  Maybe I would be just "mom" and our child's birthmom would be "mom __(insert first name or nick name)__".

Now, I'm wondering why that isn't more common?  The adoptive moms' blogs I read are confident, secure women.  They have good relationships with their birthmoms and don't seem intimidated or afraid of each other.  So, I don't think that is really factor.  Maybe because the child could be confused?

I haven't read about this in any of our adoption books yet either.  I think I need to find some adoption books specific to open adoption rather than just general adoption books.  (Of which some have been seriously frustrating... but I suppose that is a post for another day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment